Napa & Sonoma’s Source
For All Things Glass
At B & L Glass, we’ve been delivering a full range of luxury glass services to Sonoma and Napa counties for more than six decades. Forging strong relationships with area architects, homeowners, and contractors, we provide a highly-refined service for installing and repairing glass. From large panoramic winery windows to custom, luxury shower enclosures in private homes, our team has the skills, knowledge, and industry relationships to create highly-satisfying results that reflect your vision.
Whether it’s time to upgrade old windows to something new and energy efficient, or you need a glass repair to fix cracks and other damage, our team is up to the job.
Your Expert Glass & Glazing Team
Embracing the DIY spirit is one way to save money, learn new skills, and get involved in the maintenance of your property. Around the house, there are many things that we might classify as “DIY material,” however, glass repair is one task best left to the professionals.
It is recommended that the following repairs be performed by a glass professional and not undertaken as a DIY project:
- Window repairs: Windows are much more complicated than they appear from the outside – and much heavier. To achieve a proper seal for weather-proofing and energy efficiency, a professional’s experience and tools are necessary.
- Fixing interior doors with glass: There is a fine line between setting up a beautiful new glass door and looking at an empty frame after accidentally breaking the pane during installation.
- Re-imagining front doors: Glass designs in front doors are common and popular. Are you choosing the right design for your home? Considering factors such as the size of the entryway, the type of door that you’d like to use, and even the angle of the sun demands a competent professional partner.
- Unique installations, such as skylights or garage door glass: Leave it to the professionals to work at heights and in precarious situations. Skylight repairs and roof window installations require a practiced approach to safety.
What to Consider When Choosing Glass
When planning a new installation or making a replacement following damage, choosing the right glass is one of the most critical tasks that installers perform. Here are some of the things we consider:
- Style: Style can range from the finish of the glass (frosted, etched, etc.) to the number and arrangement of panes in the window. In some cases, a certain style choice is essential for privacy.
- Strength: Impact-resistant glass is a favorite of home and business owners as a simple luxury upgrade for peace of mind. Enhanced with a polyester coating, this glass can withstand both severe weather and civil unrest.
- Energy efficiency: Energy efficiency is a critical consideration for both windows and exterior doors with glass. Modern solutions, such as double-glazed and gas-insulated glass, reduce the amount of heat that escapes or enters the home through the windows. The result is a more efficient home and lower utility bills.
- Noise: For those who live near busy streets or in areas where exterior noise is a problem, choice of glass really matters. Solutions such as double-glazing help to create a quieter interior atmosphere and a calmer home.
How do you know which product is right for you? At B & L Glass, our team can provide you with valuable insights on this topic and many others.
What Happens When Glass Is Damaged?
At first glance, the process of installing or repairing glass might seem simple; however, there is much more to know about this process to ensure that you not only choose the right service but are also fully satisfied with the results. Let’s explore everything you need to know about glass installations and repairs.
A reliable glass installer is essential to know – in fact, their expertise extends beyond situations in which you want to install a brand-new window. When glass in one of your doors or windows sustains damage, you should take action to correct the problem right away. We’ll explore all the reasons for doing so below, but first, let’s learn what happens when glass is damaged, whether by an impact or by internal stress cracking.
Damage to glass beyond superficial scratches can ultimately affect its structural integrity and, over time, compromise the entire pane. Even a simple crack can rapidly become a problem because glass expands and contracts in response to temperature changes. Those changes can cause a small crack to grow larger until the entire window is unsafe. One solid impact could break the glass, creating an even more urgent repair need.
Window & Glass Repair
It’s not always necessary to completely replace damaged glass. Depending on the type of glass and the extent of the damage, a skilled glazier can provide several cost-effective repair options. These options might include:
- Scratch repair: Not all scratches can be fixed, but it is sometimes possible for a team to repair surface-level nicks and scuffs or to make them practically invisible. Deeper gouges and severe scrapes may require a replacement of the pane.
- Single-pane replacement: Do you have a window or door with multiple glass panes throughout the frame? If just one pane breaks, you shouldn’t need to replace the entire structure. A single-pane replacement is a quick and cost-effective way to repair the glass.
- Insulation repair: Insulated or energy efficient windows can suffer from loss of efficacy over time. The result is a drafty window and spiking power bills. Insulation repair is the simplest and least-disruptive solution.
The Glass Installation Process
When you contact a professional team to install windows or other types of glass for your home or business, a typical installation will proceed as follows:
- Measurements and consideration stage. Your installer will need precise measurements of the glass that they will create or replace.
- Finalization of your choices. Your professional partner will confirm everything with you and ensure your approval of the installation plan.
- Removal of your old glass. After prepping and protecting the interior of the home, the team will remove your old glass. Your contractor will take care of disposal.
- Fitting & installation of the new glass. After the new glass is fabricated to your specifications, the team will engage in a test run to ensure that everything aligns appropriately and will sit flush and level once they have installed it. Post-fitting, the installation process will proceed.
- Quality control and testing for a perfect fit. The team will thoroughly test the new glass to ensure that everything aligns properly and that there are no leaks or gaps.
How Long is the Installation Process?
Questions about how long installation will take are common from both homeowners and contractors. The answer depends on several factors, including whether it is a full-frame installation or not. The number of windows to install also impacts time estimates.
In most cases, even very large windows do not take more than a few hours for a professional team to install. In special cases, such as with the installation of custom windows that will be framed from scratch, the process may take a day or two. Every home is different, so your installer should provide you with a clear time estimate before beginning work.
How to Tell When It’s Time to Contact a Glass Replacement Company
It’s easy enough to know when to replace a broken pane, but what about when you need help with a complete window replacement? Use the following signs as guidelines:
- Your windows are permanently stained or fogged due to long-term issues. If you can’t get your windows to look better no matter how diligently you clean them, it’s time to think about replacement.
- You need an immediate replacement due to severe damage. When a window sustains damage to the point of breaking, find a professional team to start correcting the issue as soon as possible.
- You want to boost the appeal of your home. If you’re thinking about selling soon, it is a good idea to consider investing in window upgrades for efficiency and aesthetics.
Choosing a Local Glass Repair Business
Though glass installation and repair may seem simple, there are multiple factors for home and business owners to consider. Preserving your views and creating a luxury atmosphere with a tailored approach to natural lighting requires a professional’s experience, not to mention a trusted supply of the quality glass that your project requires.
For specialized installations and very large panes of glass, your installation team’s experience becomes even more critical – you don’t want to watch your investment shatter before your eyes. With the right service provider, achieving excellent results and fast repairs with glass windows, doors, and more is simple.
At B & L Glass, we believe that our 60 years of experience is our greatest asset. However, our past work does not limit our vision for what is possible to achieve for new clients. From arranging completely custom glass installations to carrying out swift repairs on damaged windows, we rely on industry best practices, the latest tools, and cutting-edge techniques to deliver our clients with the outcomes they expect and deserve.
With a passion for making our clients’ dreams into reality, we deliver superior service and luxury glass solutions in Napa and Sonoma counties.